Are you struggling to apply the foundation for a smooth and natural look? Don’t worry and read this guide to learn how to apply liquid foundation for beginners?
Let’s be honest—the ultimate goal of foundation application is to make the face look hydrated, smooth, and flawless.
But, despite your highest endeavor, the final outcome is usually a very perceptible, streaky, and chalky mask that yells, look! I tried my best!”
In the search for that perfect foundation finish, I’m here to help you polish your skills because applying foundation to flawlessness demands practice.
To make things easier for newbies, I broke down the steps and methods that will aid you to acquire a smooth, even, and natural-looking complexion every single time.
How To Apply Foundation On Face?
Here are the things you will need to apply foundation:
- Liquid foundation
- Foundation brush
After getting these tools, follow these steps.
Wash Your Face
It is critical to clean your skin properly to get rid of dirt and oil as well as previous makeup.
- Use cleaning water to diminish redness because it features anti-inflammatory agents that relax your skin.
- Besides, you can get your hands on a cleansing balm loaded with emollients for moisturizing your drier skin.
- If you have oily skin, cleansing mud will be an ideal option for you as the clay and charcoal will eradicate extra oil from your pores.
- People with combination skin should use cleansing gel to remove oil and add light moisture to their skin.
- Cleansing milk is a superb option for folks with sensitive skin because it has less water and more hydrating ingredients.
Exfoliate Your Skin
If you have uneven or peeling skin, you won’t be able to make an excellent base for foundation.
Therefore, you should use exfoliating scrub thrice a week. Furthermore, use a facial toner to maintain even and smooth skin.
The next step of how to apply foundation and concealer is to apply moisturizer on your skin. Whether you have dry, sensitive, combination, or oily skin, you must apply moisturizing cream.
It deeply nourishes and hydrates your skin and keeps it radiant. Besides, you should also use sunscreen if you are going out in the sun. Wait for at last 5 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
Use A Primer
Applying primer is another significant step of how to apply liquid foundation for beginners.
If you want to obtain perfect skin and form a resilient surface for foundation to grip onto, then you must apply primer.
It helps your makeup to last for the whole day and makes your skin look smoother.
Squeeze a trivial amount of primer onto the makeup brush or your fingers and apply it uniformly inward and outward.
Individuals with oily and combination skin should purchase a mattifying primer. However, if you have drier skin, opt for hydrating or dewy primers.
Color Correct Your Skin
You should apply a color corrector before applying the liquid foundation. Use it to conceal dark circles beneath your eyes and uneven skin patches.
Different color correctors are suitable for different skin problems.
- Lavender conceals yellow tones.
- If you have redness, get a green color corrector.
- Pink one corrects blue-toned spots on the white skin.
- Orange-pink covers up the dark patches on dark skin.
- Yellow is suitable for purple or dark spots on tan skin.
- Lastly, peach is appropriate for correcting blue and purple shadows on medium skin.
To avoid a caked-on appearance, begin with a tiny amount of foundation and add more if needed.
Dab the foundation on your forehead’s center, underneath your eyes, chin, and nose.
Spread It Outward
Begin at the face’s middle and spread it towards your neck and hairline.
Now, you might be wondering should I apply liquid foundation with a brush or sponge. You can use any tool of your choice.
No matter which tool you pick, use a stippling method, meaning softly tap into your skin rather than rubbing it.
Can You Apply Liquid Foundation With A Brush?
Yes, with a tapered brush, apply foundation onto your face using short, downward hits.
- Move the liquid from your face’s center to outwards.
- Also, blend from your neck’s down to the top to avoid a demarcation line along your jaw.
- Pat and blend to erase creases or telltale lines.
Another method of how to apply foundation with a brush without streaks is to use a stippling brush to get sheerer coverage.
Use it in stippling motion or softly press it on your entire face rather than sweeping it on your face for an even and radiant finish.
How To Apply Liquid Foundation With Fingers?
Some makeup experts insist that no technique gives the same perfect finish as using your fingers.
- Squeeze the product onto your wrist and rely on your fingers to warm it up.
- Apply it to your skin using circular motions, blend, and distribute uniformly.
How To Apply Liquid Foundation With A Sponge?
Sponges are made to provide an effortless and airbrushed finish. When using this method, make sure to wet your sponge to accomplish an even look and lessen liquid absorption.
- Run it under the tap for a few moments until the beauty blender is plump.
- Then, dip it into the foundation, put it on your hand’s back, and use a dabbing motion to apply it to your face.
The next step of how to apply liquid foundation for beginners is to apply concealer. Cover up pimples or other dark spots with a tiny amount of concealer.
- Squeeze a bit of it onto your hand’s back and dot it onto the mark with a brush or fingers.
- Blend it by gently tapping the covered part with a blender or brush.
Apply Loose Or Mineral Powder
To make your foundation long-lasting, apply a mineral or loose powder over your foundation.
It helps inhibit the foundation from slipping and sliding around and also prevents oil accumulation from showing through.
- Take a brush or sponge and swirl it once or twice to pick up the powder.
- Begin from your face’s middle, eyes’ corner, forehead’s center, the nose, the mouth, the chin, and finally, the cheeks.
- Take a little more of the powder and use it to set the foundation on your ears and neck.
Congratulation, you have become proficient at flawless, dewy, and even foundation application. Now, take a few selfies and share your perfect look with the world.
How To Pick The Right Foundation For Beginners?
Choose A Foundation For Your Skin Type
You must know whether you have oily, dry, sensitive, normal, or combination skin before buying a foundation.
Knowing your skin type will help you determine what foundation is best for you. Different foundations are formulated for different skin types.
- A liquid foundation with an integrated moisturizer is highly suitable for dry skin. You can also get a hydrating powder or stick foundation.
- A light foundation is an optimal choice for oily skin. However, you can also select an oil-free liquid or powder foundation.
- Folks with combination skin should purchase a powder foundation because it will permit you to distribute more of the oil-absorbing makeup where you need it the most and less where you don’t need it.
Choose The Right Foundation Color
To ensure your foundation acts as a blank canvas, pick a product that matches your skin color. Try different foundation colors on your jawline and stick with the one that matches your skin color without blending.
Allow it to absorb for a few seconds before checking the color because it may modify the color slightly when dry.
Acquire The Coverage You Desire
Many people can use a medium coverage foundation, but for those who have specific coverage requirements, you will need a specific powder.
Visit the makeup counter at a shopping mall and try different products to figure out which feels the most comfortable and matches your skin.
- Loose powder and tinted moisturizer are excellent for the lightest coverage.
- Cream foundation is best for the most coverage.
- The liquid foundation offers full coverage.
- The aerosol foundation is optimal for medium coverage.
- Pressed powder is good for light coverage.
How To Remove The Foundation?
You will need these tools to remove it:
- Oil-based makeup remover/olive oil
- Cotton pad
- Face wash/cleanser
- Clean towel
- Toner and moisturize
- Infuse the cotton pad with oil or makeup remover.
- Use circular motions to eliminate the liquid foundation from your entire face and neck.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and face wash to get rid of any residue foundation and oil traces.
- Pat your face with a clean cloth or towel.
- Apply toner and lotion to close pores and hydrate your skin.
It does not matter which foundation application technique you select; make sure to commence with a primer to even out your skin’s texture.
Remember, you should never apply foundation like a moisturizer. You want to make it look like your natural skin, so apply it where you need it rather than putting it all over your face.
Similarly, you should use powder to set the look. Nevertheless, folks with oily skin can apply it all over their face. If you have a drier nose and cheeks, apply powder on just your chin and forehead.
Once you are done, give a new lease of life to your skin with blush or bronzer. I hope you loved my detailed guide on “how to apply liquid foundation for beginners.” If yes, please share it with novices like you.