Wondering how to clean newborn baby tongue? Read this guide to get an answer to your question.
Taking care of an infant involves numerous things, such as feeding them, cleaning them, etc.
Maintaining their healthy and oral hygiene is critical to inhibiting them from getting strafes from infections and aliment from germs, fungus, and bacteria.
Although they don’t have teeth, their oral hygiene is essential. Cleaning their tongue decreases their chance of getting oral thrush.
Oral thrush is generally harmless. This fungus infection is very prevalent in infants and toddlers.
It is described by a white coating on the newborn’s tongue and white patches in their mouth.
Oral thrush can make them decline to feed since their tongue becomes sore and painful.
In this post, I will tell you how to clean baby tongue thrush and share home remedies to clean baby tongue. So keep reading.
Do You Need To Clean Newborn Mouth And When To Start Cleaning Baby Tongue?
Bacteria are present in a newborn’s mouth just like they are present in your mouth.
However, newborns have less saliva than you, making it tougher for their tiny mouths to wash away milk residue.
This can also accumulate on their tongue, creating a white coating.
Cleaning their tongue slackens and eliminates the residue.
You can use a wet rag to clean their tongue. You should introduce oral cleaning as early as possible.
How To Clean Newborn Baby Tongue?
Follow these ways to how to clean baby mouth after feeding.
1. Use Gauze
- First, clean your hands in lukewarm soapy water and wash them well to avoid shifting germs.
- Wrap gauze around the baby tongue cleaner or your finger and dampen it with warm water.
- Hold your newborn in one arm to protect him and make him feel secure.
- Gently put a finger through his lips to open his mouth. Using the covered finger, rub his tongue’s surface in circular motions.
- Repeat this process until all milk residue on baby tongue is clear.
- Also, clean the cheeks and gums in a circular motion.
2. Use Cotton Buds
- Follow the process mentioned above but instead of using gauze, use clean cotton buds.
- Make sure to use tightly molded cotton buds to prevent leaving cotton threads in his mouth.
- Dip the buds in warm water and gently roll them on your infant’s tongue.
- Don’t go deep into his mouth because the cotton bud can irritate his throat.
How To Clean Baby Tongue With Glycerine?
Glycerin is a sweet, colorless liquid that gives a creamy texture to toothpaste.
It’s present in various hair and skin care products.
It’s harmless once you begin cleaning your baby’s mouth with a small quantity of toothpaste at six months.
However, neither glycerin nor toothpaste is required for cleaning the mouth of an infant or baby less than six months old.
Glycerin won’t hurt them, but toothpaste can swallow their mouth as it contains too much fluoride.
How To Clean Baby Tongue Thrush?
Bear in mind that the white coating on your little one’s tongue is not always due to milk.
Occasionally, it is caused by thrush. Thrush and milk residue on baby tongue look identical.
The dissimilarity is that you can clean the milk residue, but you cannot clean the thrush.
It is a fungal infection that grows in the mouth and is produced by oral candidiasis.
It leaves white patches on the inner cheeks, gums, mouth’s roof, and tongue.
This fungal infection needs treatment with antifungal medication to hinder the infection’s spread.
So, if the white coating doesn’t clean, get in touch with a pediatrician.
Good oral health commences at a young age.
Though your kid won’t remember having their gums and tongue wiped away as an infant, this regime contributes to their overall oral hygiene and aids them in maintaining good habits as they become adults.
I hope my guide on “how to clean newborn baby tongue” has given you some valuable information.
If so, please share this guide with other parents so that they can also learn how to clean newborn tongue NHS.